Sunday, October 4, 2009

More movie theater fun

I saw two movies this weekend - Surrogates and Zombieland. I enjoyed Surrogates, but then again I also enjoyed I, Robot (the movie, although I enjoyed the book as well - I didn't read the book until after I saw the movie, so it didn't bother me that the two barely shared more than a title). I haven't read Surrogates the graphic novel and don't know anything about it, but the movie feels a lot like I, Robot. You know, nifty new technology, can't do without it, then it turns out there's a dangerous problem. The cop who's looking into things doesn't know what to think or, at times, who to trust. Sprinkle in lots of cool special effects. All of that makes it sound kind of bad, but, aside from the ending, I really did enjoy it.

Zombieland was, as expected, a gorefest. It was the scariest funny movie I've seen in a long time. Shaun of the Dead had some scary moments, but the zombies in that one were laughably slow - Zombieland's zombies are fast. I loved Shaun of the Dead (although I was occasionally frustrated by its pacing), and I enjoyed Zombieland, too. Zombieland, due to its fast-moving zombies, has more action. It's been a while since I've seen Shaun of the Dead, so I might be wrong about this, but I also kind of think Zombieland's humor was darker. I was surprised that things turned out fairly well for everyone (or almost everyone), since it looked pretty bleak near the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment