Saturday, September 4, 2010

High School of the Dead - very much expecting a bad ending for everyone

Granted, I've only watched the first three episodes so far, but I don't see how things could end well. At the very least, all of Japan is taken over by zombies, and there seem to be zombie outbreaks in lots of other parts of the world. One little bite, and you're a goner.

So far, I'm liking the show. Usually, I don't like endings where everyone dies, but, even though this one will probably end that way, I'm not sure it will bother me - you have to actually like the characters to care when they die. I feel sort of "meh" about almost all of the characters, so I don't think their deaths will be that big of a deal. I'm not a huge fan of the show's heavy use of fanservice, nor the rather odd timing of said fanservice.  For example, say there's a scene where some girl is screaming as she cringes back from the zombie about to bite her. The camera zooms in, but takes a little detour to focus on her bouncing boobs before settling on her terrified, tear-streaked face. Although I don't watch a lot of horror, I seem to recall that sex and beautiful, terrified girls with strategically torn clothing aren't all that unusual in the genre.  Still, the panty shots in this show seem rather excessive, and the nurse's boobs are so bouncy they get their own sound effects.

I just realized that, although I said I liked the show, I just named several things I don't like about it.  So, what do I like about it? Well, the artwork's not that bad, the horror's good enough to make me occasionally do some "they're gonna die!" cringing without making me feel like I'll have nightmares, and the large cast of characters in survival-mode makes for some interesting interactions. I just know I'm going to love to hate the teacher that joined the group in episode 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment