Saturday, January 8, 2011

More changes applied, with more on the way

Even with the "share" icons now displaying, there are still things I haven't been able to fix. The old template just won't display a lot of things, I haven't been able to find fixes for all of it, and I don't know enough to try to fix it myself.

I still don't like that there are no new Blogger templates that can utilize the entire width of a person's browser, no matter their screen resolution. Again, I don't know enough to try to change this myself. However, if I want all those things I can't fix in the old template to finally work and display the way I want them to without spending hours looking over code I often don't understand, I'll have to switch to one of the new templates.

I've got a lot of stuff in my sidebars. My labels list alone is huge. In order to adjust to the smaller amount of prime space (the area of the blog visible when you first visit it) I'll have when I switch to one of the new templates, without sacrificing too much of the space that the blog posts themselves get, I've got to somehow reduce the amount of stuff that needs that prime space.

For now, I'm experimenting with drop down labels lists. I could do one giant drop down, with all the labels at once, but I realized that my labels list has grown to over 200, so I figured I might as well try splitting them up into categories, too.

Since I can always switch back to my original template (I have several versions saved right now), I may take the plunge and switch to one of the new Blogger templates today.

2 comments:

  1. ooooooh, that you for the link to the post on doing drop-down label lists! I will implement that soon on my book blog where the titles list is getting too long.

    As for share buttons - I've had those for a while, I think via "AddThis." Is that a new template/old template thing?

    Also - have you looked at my genealogy blog? I think the template I'm using there uses the entire browser width - although I am not 100% sure since the screen resolution at home is lower to accommodate Breathless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your genealogy one is ABT UNK, right? Even that one doesn't use the whole screen in higher screen resolutions (mine is 1920x1080). I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and accept a fixed width blog - with the drop down lists of labels, that shouldn't be much of problem. I think I can even move back to a 2 column blog.

    Let me know if you have any issues setting up the drop down label lists - I'll help if I can.

    ReplyDelete