Sunday, March 4, 2012

What I'm currently reading and watching

The amount of posting I've been doing lately has been pretty sad, compared to the amount of stuff I've been reading and watching. I thought I'd do a quickie "first impressions" post - I haven't finished any of the things listed below yet, so keep in mind that my opinion of them may change. Ideally, you'll be seeing full posts for all these things at a later date.

Reading:
  • The Innocence of Father Brown (e-book) by G.K. Chesterton - I picked this up as a freebie from Project Gutenberg. It's more a collection of short stories with Father Brown in them than a novel. I'm almost done with it and I have no idea what I'm going to write about it. I don't think it's really all that bad, but it's not for me. The resolutions to the mysteries have often not been satisfying to me - Father Brown relies more on characters' consciences than on the law, so stories would sometimes finish while I was still waiting for someone to bring in the police.
  • Double Dare (book) by Vicki Hinze - I'm almost halfway through this book and less than thrilled with it. The "virus and body doubles at the mall" craziness could have been a lot of fun, but I feel like Hinze must have written most of Maggie and Justin's romantic scenes in another novel, because I'm not feeling their romance at all.
  • I Hunt Killers (book) by Barry Lyga - This is one of my ARCs. I haven't gotten very far into it yet, but it looks like this is an attempt to create Dexter for teens. The main character's father was a notorious serial killer who did his best to teach his skills to his son. I'm not sure, yet, what direction Lyga plans to take things.
Watching:
  • Brave 10 (anime TV series) - If I finish this series, it will only be after much perseverance. I hate the main female character, and the fight scenes aren't nearly good enough to overcome my hatred of her. I finished episode 4 yesterday, and the only reason I'm still watching is because an enemy from a previous episode has returned and shows signs of a seriously masochistic crush on another character. He should be good for some laughs, and maybe he'll kill the main female character in a fit of jealousy. I can only hope.
  • Chihayafuru (anime TV series) - Megan gets a giant "THANK YOU!" for recommending this show to me. When I first started watching it, I said it looked like a cross between Hikaru no Go and Sand Chronicles. I still feel that way. Every episode of this show has me grinning with excitement and joy, as much, if not more, for the outcomes of the Karuta matches as for the wisps of romance.
  • Recorder and Randsell (anime TV series) - Each episode is very short, which is a good thing, because the premise is too thin to survive in longer episodes. For some unexplained reason, the main characters are an older sister who looks like a child and a younger brother who looks like a young man. The series' jokes and gags are all built around this. For instance, there's a recurring joke involving the brother walking home with his school friends and getting chased by the cops, who think he's a would-be child molester.
  • Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi - World's Greatest First Love (anime TV series) - Oh man. This series is kind of terrible, but I am so addicted to it. Really, really addicted. The day I started it, I watched 6 episodes without hardly realizing it. A single episode of Brave 10 feels like an eternity, while a single episode of Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi feels like nothing. Part of this series' appeal is getting to learn a bit about manga creation. An even bigger part of this series' appeal is the overflowing buckets of emotion. Supposedly these guys are all adults (these are all romantic relationships between men, by the way), but you wouldn't guess it from the way they avoid telling each other anything. Also, there are love triangles galore.

No comments:

Post a Comment